Artificial intelligence can be divided into different types, there are mainly two types of main classifications that are based on capabilities and functionally based on AI. The following is a flow diagram that explains the types of AI.
AI type-1: Based on Capabilities
1. Narrow AI:
- Narrow AI is a type of AI capable of performing a dedicated task with intelligence. The most common and currently available AI in the world of Artificial Intelligence is Narrow AI.
- Narrow AI cannot perform beyond its field or boundaries, as it is trained only for a specific task. Hence it is also called weak AI. Narrow AI can fail in unexpected ways if it goes beyond its limits.
- The Apple series is a good example of narrow AI, but it operates with limited pre-defined functions
- IBM’s Watson supercomputer also falls under Nairo AI, as it uses an expert systems approach combined with machine learning and natural language processing.
- Some examples of Narrow Ai are playing chess, buying tips on e-commerce sites, self-driving cars, speech recognition and image recognition.
2. General AI
- General AI is a type of intelligence that can perform any intellectual task with efficiency like a human.
- The idea behind simple AI to create a system that can be smart and think like a human according to its own.
- At present, no such system exists that can fall under normal AI and fulfill any function as a human being.
- Researchers around the world are now focusing on developing machines with common AI.
- As such systems with common AI are still under research, and developing such systems will take a lot of effort and time.
3. Super AI
- Super AI is a level of intelligence of systems at which machines can transcend human intelligence, and perform any task better than a human with cognitive properties. This is the result of normal AI.
- Some of the key features of strong AI include ability, reasoning ability, puzzle solving, decision making, planning, learning and communicating.
- Super AI is still a fictional concept of artificial intelligence. The development of such systems in real is still a world-changing work.
Artificial Intelligence type-2: Based on functionality
1. Reactive Machines
- Purely reactive machines are the most basic type of artificial intelligence.
- Such AI systems do not store memories or past experiences for future tasks.
- These machines only focus on current scenarios and react to it according to the best possible action.
- IBM’s Deep Blue system is an example of reactive machines
- Google’s AlphaGo is also an example of reactive machines.
2. Limited Memory
- Limited memory machines may store past experiences or some data for a short period of time.
- These machines can only use stored data for a limited time period.
- Self-driving cars are one of the best examples of limited memory systems. These cars can store the recent speed of nearby cars, distance of other cars, speed limits and other information for walking on the road.
3. Theory of Mind
- The principle of Mind AI should be to understand human emotions, people, beliefs and be able to interact socially like humans.
- This type of AI machines are still not developed, but researchers are making a lot of efforts and improvements to develop such AI machines.
- Self-awareness AI is the future of artificial intelligence. These machines will be super intelligent, and will have their own consciousness, emotions and self-awareness.
- These machines will be smarter than a human mind.
- Self-awareness AI does not really exist yet and is a hypothetical concept.
Like/Subscribe us for latest updates or newsletter: